meta-post from Leigh: principles!

Hey everybody, welcome to the blog, and thanks for coming! We really appreciate all the visits and links and comments, and we hope you’ll stick around.

As you can see from the posts below, Laura and I are very excited about this project. While we’re basically on the same page (appreciative of Dave Sim’s talent, open-minded about his eccentricities, fully aware that some parts will take considerable courage to get through, willing to “call a spade a spade,” secretly kind of excited about seeing how crazy it gets, cheerfully uninvested in the consequences one way or the other), we will each have our own critical agendas, habits, and interests. Probably best not to spell them out, lest we pigeonhole ourselves… Part of the project will be learning from each other, after all.

A couple procedural points:

• The plan is basically to move through an issue per week, with commentary from both of us. Considering how busy we both are, that’s all we feel comfortable guaranteeing. On the other hand, that’s only 4x the speed at which Dave himself produced the damn thing, and it would take us six months to get to High Society (widely considered the beginning of the good part). So we’ll go faster when we can.
  • As Tom Spurgeon observed, we are indeed moving by issues rather than phonebooks, for practical reasons as much as anything else. The early Cerebus is episodic anyway; as we move into the mature material we may focus more on the books as books.
  • As for source material, we’re working from a combination of phonebooks and single issues and reprints of various kinds. We’re interested in the supplementary material insofar as it is a part of Cerebus-the-project and helps us understand Dave and Cerebus-the-book, but neither of us is interested in tracking down every single TMNT crossover and con-program one-pager. We reserve the right to skim/ignore the boring or irrelevant.
  • We welcome your comments! It is a “diablog,” after all.

7 Responses to “meta-post from Leigh: principles!”

1. 1 Margaret January 8, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Well, I for one am excited to read your weekly reviews of the issues as you go through them. It’ll be interesting to see someone taking it on “fresh” now that the series has been over for a few years. Hopefully you haven’t read too many spoilers! :)

From the first issue reviews it doesn’t look like you’ll be tackling what Cerebites term “the back of the book stuff”, which includes Deni’s “Note From the Publisher” (which later turned into Dave’s “Note From the President”) to the letters column, Aardvark Comment. Will this be changing as you actually read individual issues – as it sounds like you’ve got your hands on the Swords of Cerebus collections for the first couple issues at least.

Also, for some of those “harder to track down” Cerebus stories check out either my website’s story page:
    (reprinted with permission from Dave & Ger) and check out Jeff T ’s page for stories as he has some of the ones I don’t have listed:
    http://www.cerebustheaardvark.com (though he uses frames, so just click on the “COLOR MISCELLANY” header.

2. 2 Ray Cornwall January 8, 2009 at 7:50 pm

If you can find either Swords of Cerebus or the old cheap reprints, they’re well worth it for the extra stuff (Marshall Rogers! The weird poem attempt! The essays!). But other than that, I can understand your focus on the “meat and taters” of Cerebus.

3. 3 Mike Smith January 9, 2009 at 5:20 am

This sounds like an exciting project. I will definitely be looking forward to what you both have to say. I already love what you’ve written about the first issue. To be honest, I had never heard of either of you until I clicked on the link at Journalista. I know how hard it is to keep a blog going week after week. I wish you well.

I’ve read about half of Cerebus, mostly the first half, but I do have all the phone books. For a long time now I’d been thinking of starting at the beginning and reading the entire thing. Your project may just be the trigger to get me started.

Good luck.

4. 4 Max January 9, 2009 at 9:51 am

This is a great idea for a blog, and I like the fact that you’ll each be giving us your take on the individual issues.

I’ve just recently started acquiring the Phonebooks, and I’ve made it up to the half-way point of High Society volume one. Can’t wait to page through the earlier volumes and see what you both thought of them.

5. 5 Arthur January 9, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Excellent idea for a blog! Just started collecting the phonebooks myself, and I’m currently reading Church & State, volume one.

Writing to ask, any chance of a Twitter feed so we know when a new entry is posted?

6. 6 Leigh Walton January 9, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Hi Arthur,
    Not sure about a Twitter feed but you can always add the RSS feed!

7. 7 Jeff Tundis January 13, 2009 at 4:27 pm

The canon stories you definitely want to keep in your research (eliminating those that you will see by virtue of reading the individual issues and not the trades) are:

The Girl Next Door (1985/06) Epic Illustrated 30

His First Fifth (1984/10) Epic Illustrated 26

Selling Insurance (1985/06) Epic Illustrated 30

Squinteye the Sailor (1985/04) Cerebus Jam 1

The Defense of Fort Columbia (1985/04) Cerebus Jam 1

A Friendly Reminder (1985/02) Epic Illustrated 28

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (1986/10) Anything Goes 3

The First Invention of Armour (1985/04) Cerebus Jam 1

The Challenge (1992/08) Comics Buyers Guide 977

Passage (1982/4-6) Cerebus the Newsletter 6, Following Cerebus 2

Demonhorn (1978/07) Nucleus 1, Swords of Cerebus 2

A Night on the Town (1984/Fall) Swords of Cerebus 5, World Tour Book

The Name of the Game is Diamondback (1981/01) Swords of Cerebus 1, World Tour Book

The Morning After (1981/06) Swords of Cerebus 2, World Tour Book

Magiking (1978/11) Swords of Cerebus 4, World Tour Book

Silverspoon (1980) The Buyer’s Guide for Comic Fandom (bi-weekly starting in issue 317) , World Tour Book, Swords of Cerebus 4, Cerebus Bi-Weekly Special, current printing of Cerebus Volume 1.
    What Happened Between Issues Twenty & Twenty-One (1981/Fall) Swords of Cerebus 3, World Tour Book

Cerebus Dreams II (1984/12) A-V in 3-D

An Untold Tale of the Secret Sacred Wars (1988/10) AARGH! 1

If you have any trouble locating any of these, shoot me an email and I’ll set you up:)

-Jeff